This was a hit! I actually made my own cranberry sauce rather then using it from a can. Which is so easy to make:
2 cups fresh or frozen whole cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup water
Cook it over medium heat for about 20 minute. crush all the cranberries with the back of a spoon as you are stirring it. Remove form the heat once it starts to thicken and turn to a jelly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
* You can make large batches of this and just freeze what you don’t use.
1 lb round brie cheese
1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce, crushed
2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp brandy
1 tsp orange zest
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 500° F. Place brie on baking sheet.
2. Cut off top rind of brie cheese round, leaving ¼” rim around the edge. First cut the circle into the top of the round, then position the knife horizontally and gently cut under the rind around the circle to remove the top. If this is too difficult to do, you can also heat the brie a bit to soften the cheese and make it easier to remove the rind.
3. Combine cranberry sauce, sugar, brandy, orange zest and nutmeg. Top prepared brie with cranberry mixture and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
4. Bake 4-5 minutes, or until brie is soft and warm.
5. Serve with assorted crackers and apple slices.