I have been trying, for hours, to come up with something to write about gingerbread biscotti. Nothin, I got NOTHIN. So I thought I would just share some random facts with you, about me until I can think of something to say about the biscotti.
1. I prefer TV over music
2. During pregnancy I have craved a spinach and blueberry smoothie EVERYDAY!
3. I got married when I was 21.
4. I was homeschooled from 7th grade through high school.
5. If you think, for even one second I’m one of those ‘social inept’ homeschool kids, think again.
6. One word people NEVER use to describe ‘soft spoken.’
7. I wake up inbetween 4-5 am, everyday, automatically without an alarm.
8. I can watch ‘Cheaper By The Dozen’ over and over again.
9. I have a secret crush on Bill Cosby.
10. My singing ability measures in the negative category.
11. I have a furrowed tongue. Go ahead, google it. Yep, that’s what my tongue looks like.
13. My last dying meal would be pasta with butter and parmesan.
14. If it wouldn’t send me to an early grave, I would eat breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls every morning for breakfast.
15. I have an unhealthy affinity toward Red Vines.
Ok finally, finally I have a couple things about gingebread biscotti to write about. 2 cups of coffee later…These biscotti are super tasty. Not exactly like the ones from Starbucks because these are ‘healthier.’ No fats like butter or oil. I subbed applesauce instead and I’m very pleased with the results. They are flavorful but not heavy. I LOVE the addition of the white chocolate, and the little sprinkels aren’t neccessary, but they are super cute and festive. These make a great baked good gift if you are still in need of something to bring to someone. Package these with a lb of yummy coffee and you have a GREAT gift for the boss too.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups all purpose four
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, applesauce, eggs and molasses.
In another bowl mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture. It will be dry and mixing with your hands might be most effective.
Divide the dough into 2 loaves, each loaf being about 4 inches wide and 9 inches long. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 35 minutes, until the loaves are firm.
*If you don’t have parchment paper or a silpat mat, spray non stick spray on a pan. Because there isn’t any fat in the biscotti, they will stick to a pan without some kind of nonstick base.
Remove the loaves from the oven and allow them too cool for about 10 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
Slice each loaf diagonally into 1 inch thick slices (take the loaves off the baking sheet and slice them on a cutting board). Put the slices back onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then flip the pieces and bake for another 15 minutes. Bake until they are firm ad crunchy.
Allow to cool completely before you dip in the white chocolate.
Melt 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a bowl in the microwave. Dip the end of each biscotti into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with little gingerbread men. Cool on a piece of parchment paper. It will take them about an hour to cool completely.